Of course, finale night means party night also! This year there will be Tru Blood Plasmapolitans (Tru Blood, Vodka and lime juice) as well as a good dose crying - which of course means Sookie's gran's famous Cryin' Pie! For those of you who haven't been bitten by the True Blood bug, in Season 1, Sookie's gran met an untimely demise. As a result, Sookie proceeded to work her way through half a pecan pie she found in the fridge that gran had made before meeting her bloody end. Needless to say, she blubbered her way through the entire thing!
|Gran's Pie before adding the maple toffee|
This year, I have attempted to replicate gran's pie. I think I've come pretty darn close. So here is the recipe for you all to enjoy. If you want a more authentic version, omit the maple toffee.
Gran's Cryin' Pecan Pie
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup icing sugar
113grams cold, unsalted butter, chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
395gram tin condensed milk
60grams brown sugar
2 tsps Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur
1/4 cup maple syrup
Pecan halves, to decorate
- Add all the pastry ingredients to a food processor and whiz until totally combined.
- Grease a pie dish and, using your fingers, press out the pastry dough until smooth.
- Bake in the over at 170 degrees Celsius
- Add all the pie filling ingredients (except the eggs) to a pan and heat on a medium temperature until the sugar is dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking quickly to prevent them cooking unevenly.
- Turn the heat back on to low and whisk until the mixture thickens into custard.
- Pour into the pie crust and decorate with pecan halves
- Firmly pack 1/3 cup brown sugar into measuring cup. Top up with maple syrup to the 1/2 cup mark. Add to a pan along with 1/4 cup of water.
- Turn on the heat to high and let the mixture boil. Keep checking the toffee by pouring a small amount over the back of a cold metal spoon. As soon as it becomes super sticky, pour the whole lot over the top of your pie.
- Refrigerate until set and serve with either whipped cream or ice cream
- Enjoy! (But don't forget to cry while eating it.)